36 hours, 2 workshops, 1 lunch event, 1 shopping trip and a couple of blog posts

How is it Sunday evening already?

Feels just a moment ago it was Saturday morning and I was preparing to head out to our knitting workshop.  I wonder if there was something in the coffee I bought on the way that speeded up the hours.

Kerry from Knitting for All is a super teacher and even if you think knitting isn’t your thing I urge you to give it a go.  Relaxing, creative and very therapeutic I thoroughly recommend it.  I started as a sceptic – no way was I going to give it a go but we were low on numbers and I felt I should at least try -couldn’t just sit watching them or make coffee or check the phone.  So I made a set of knitting needles.  Then learnt to knit plain.  Made a wee square.  Very neat it was too.

Swiftly moved onto knitting a scarf – I am not happy with it now and plan to unravel it and do it all again. Better.

But yesterday was a day for finishing my tea cosy!  Here is the end result.  Mock me at your peril.  I love it.

Lynne's first tea cosy


Kerry is going to design a tea cosy in our charity colours now with the logo on it too – I can see a lovely winter of knitting ahead.   Oh and I think we can also make some nice hats for Kilimanjaro too!!

I had to dash from the workshop to a Ladies lunch I was speaking at – and hosting a table at – at Le Monde in George Street, Edinburgh.   I know everyone says how impossible George street is now that all busses are rerouted there for the next almost year but we found a really nice traffic warden who let us stop to unload my load of christmas cards and jewellery.  It was in the middle of the road parking bays but one for permit holders.  I was only 2 minutes and my plan only came almost unstuck when I got to the entrance to Le Monde’s nightclub.  The stairs are steep and curved and I had no idea how I was going to manage the granny bag (wheeled trolley) and the suit bag and two other huge bags I had.  To my rescue came two american tourists who offered to look after one or two bags while I took others down in relays.  When I thanked them they said that someone had helped them yesterday at Waverley station and they were happy to pass it on.  Since September is my month of kindness this small act from them meant a great deal to me.

much laughter at Tracey's banter

who's showing who how to make cocktails??

The lunch was superb – Tracey, one of the organising team (rest are Karen G, Karen M and Hazel) was a superb and funny MC.    She had written a wee poem and at the end introduced me – bit of a hard act to follow actually.  There was a cocktail masterclass after the lunch – great entertainment.  Then, well to be honest with 100 women it was just an afternoon of great chat.  Noise level was tremendous.

This morning it was an early start for me and Hannah (co-trustee) as we headed off to Craigie’s Farm at Dalmeny.  We are charity of the year there and John and his wife Kirsteen look after us so well.   Today was a jam making workshop with a difference.   Suitable for all ages as the jam is made in  the freezer!

a wee refreshment before we start picking the berries

John took us for a tractor and trailer ride to the strawberries to pick them – he put 4 year old Victoria in charge of us in the trailer – telling her she had to make sure no one stood up while the tractor was moving.  Oh my, did she take this to heart!  She is quite a character is Victoria.  After picking the strawberries we headed to Kirsteen’s domain – the kitchen.  Hands washed, aprons on, the youngsters amongst us got chopping, mashing, adding sugar and squeezing lemon juice, stirring and pouring.   Voila, jam in the pots.  But wait…….it’s fairy pink.  Looks way too weird to turn into jam.  It feels a bit like when I was little and saw my first washing machine – I sat and watched my clothes going round and round for hours.  I feel that way with this jam.  I keep checking it to see if it’s changed colour yet.   Six hours have passed and it is still fairy pink.  In 18 hours time it has to go into the freezer for at least 3 days.  I shall keep you updated in case you are as intrigued as me.

John showing Victoria what kind of berries to pick

Sammi pouring the jam into tubs

wonderful scottish strawberries

So, from Craigie’s straight to that store that’s always telling us that ‘Every little helps’ to shop for this week’s healthy snacks delivery.  I have changed the delivery day to a Monday so now must shop each Sunday afternoon.  I am not sure of the wisdom of this as I like to spend my Sundays doing admin, reading the papers and defo staying home.   We will give it a few weeks to see how it goes – I think it’s better for the ward to get the snacks each Monday morning and they are who matters.   I had help from a good friend and mum to a young cancer patient.   Laura, the daughter, is having a rotten time just now – nearing the end of treatment she has had her fair share of staying in the ward.  Anyway, Sue helped me choose what to put in this week – lovely fruit pots, strawberry mousses, little cheese portions, nice biscuits and delicious juices.

Dropped Sue off at her house, back to mine and I don’t mind telling you that before I could download the photos from the weekend and write this blog I was sound asleep in a chair!

Much refreshed now, I am off to plan the week ahead and write up my beloved To Do lists.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.